Ayodeji Awosika is an author and top writer on Medium. In fact, he’s made over $430,000 writing on Medium since he first started. He also honed his writing skills and built a list of 40,000 subscribers using the platform. He is also a Self Publishing School member and has published three books, including The Destiny Formula: Find Your Purpose. Overcome Your Fear of Failure. Use Your Natural Talents and Strengths to Build a Successful Life, You 2.0:: Stop Feeling Stuck, Reinvent Yourself, and Become a Brand New You – Master the Art of Personal Transformation, and Real Help: An Honest Guide to Self-Improvement.
He shares a lot of great information in this podcast. We talk about how he always wanted to write a book and how reading and writing were part of his self-development journey. He joined Self Publishing School and wrote and published his first book. He continued to use the resources for subsequent books. Ayodeji also shares a lot of information about writing for Medium and how his success took off. We discuss methods to get more traffic on Medium and turn Medium readers into subscribers and book buyers. He also has a new class about leveraging Medium to make money. This is a really informative episode, and he’s an entertaining and engaging guest.
- [02:04] Ayodeji always dreamt of writing a book. Reading and writing was part of his personal development journey. Having a book is like a stamp that makes you feel like a real writer.
- [03:31] Books are a great way to push yourself as a writer and a solid credibility marker.
- [05:17] Ayodeji worked with SPS on his first book, The Destiny Formula. He loved how everything was laid out. It was one of the best decisions he’s ever made. He continued to use the lessons for his additional books.
- [08:38] Book writing tips include getting the first draft done without judgment. Outlines make the writing so much easier.
- [11:16] The book Published features the eight milestones. The first four are mind map, outline, rough draft, and editing. The better the outline, the better the book. Learn more in chapter 6.
- [12:34] Medium is a website where anyone can sign up and start writing. Members pay a monthly fee and get access to content behind the paywall.
- [13:49] Ayodeji studied everything about the platform including the publication feature. He started getting tons of traffic. In 2017, they released a partner program. The pay is based on time spent reading articles. The first month he made a couple hundred bucks.
- [15:32] He went all in and made over $10,000 a month 17 months in a row. He was the top earning writer on the website for six months straight. He has more than 90,000 followers. He’s made more than $430,000 writing on Medium.
- [16:09] Medium allows you to build your audience while making money. You can also credit your articles back to your blog.
- [17:17] Sales of his newer books are higher, because of the list he built on Medium
- [22:05] Authors who use blogging as a content marketing strategy for their blogs could benefit from syndicating on Medium. Two to three articles a week is the sweet spot.
- [26:49] To gain traction on Medium, do the work to get better. There’s a compounding effect. The more you show up, the more often you are on the radar.
- [31:40] Tips include: Get better at your craft. Write more consistently. Get accepted in Publications. Use the rungs of the ladder.
- [32:39] Turning subscribers into readers begins with a lead magnet.
- [35:25] Parting tips for Medium are to get started right away!
Links and Resources
- Get a Free Copy of Published
- Get the Audio Copy of Published
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- Book a Call with Our Team
- SPS Free Training Course
- Self Publishing School YouTube
- Ayodeji’s 5 Day Medium Course
- Ayo the Author
- The Destiny Formula: Find Your Purpose. Overcome Your Fear of Failure. Use Your Natural Talents and Strengths to Build a Successful Life
- You 2.0:: Stop Feeling Stuck, Reinvent Yourself, and Become a Brand New You – Master the Art of Personal Transformation
- Real Help: An Honest Guide to Self-Improvement
- Ayodeji Awosika Medium
- Ayodeji Awosika Twitter
- Ayodeji Awosika LinkedIn
- Ayodeji Awosika YouTube