Morgan Gist MacDonald is the founder of Paper Raven Books. She’s also the author of Start Writing Your Book Today: A step-by-step plan to write your nonfiction book, from first draft to finished manuscript and a longtime SPS partner. She started as a student, and now she’s doing amazing things in the publishing space. We will talk about how to get discovered as an author, get more reviews, and build a readership.
We get to learn how Morgan’s business evolved and SPS’s role in that evolution. She launched her book in June of the same year she joined SPS. Her passion for writing and business knowledge allowed her to create a publishing business. We also talk about the marketing part of selling her book, what sold the most copies, and how other authors discovered it. We also talk about optimizing for Amazon.
Morgan shares the strategy of freebies for promoting a new launch, and giving something away to get subscribers, and then asking for a review. We also learn how Morgan’s book helped grow her business. Her current momentum and interview opportunities were built off of the book. We talk about funnels and the many benefits of having a book. We also talk about why people should start writing their book today and many more great tips.
- [01:40] Morgan was a freelance writing coach who wanted to grow her business. She found Chandler in 2015 and joined SPS. She ended up launching her book the same year. This was the beginning of an entirely new business.
- [03:11] The book brought in clients, and she started hiring editors. She was basically implementing SPS for other people.
- [05:34] She always enjoyed writing and decided that was what she was going to do. Her passion for writing slowly took off.
- [07:41] Writing is always on the side. There is no magical writing time. Start writing your book today.
- [08:30] The most difficult part of writing the book was deciding the scope of the book. She created a mind map and outline.
- [09:50] Morgan began with no platform. She used her book to begin her platform. Optimizing her book for Amazon has moved the needle the most.
- [11:00] She also does a quarterly relaunch of her book. Fresh downloads with a paid promotion always bumps up the sales.
- [13:21] We also talk about the disadvantages of expecting to make a profit off of your launch. Go free for discoverability.
- [19:28] It’s an advantage for authors to sell directly to their readers. This makes an email list more important than ever. You could break a book into three parts or a trilogy. You need to think about reviews and readers.
- [21:29] Morgan shares how her book has helped grow her business.
- [24:20] Book funnels give you an opportunity to ask for an address and a phone number.
- [25:09] Why you should start writing your book today. It proves something to yourself, and it really helps clarify your message and your audience.
- [27:58] Parting advice: Let go of perfection and give it your best shot. Write that book!
Links and Resources
- Children’s Self Publishing School
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- Book a Call with Our Team
- SPS Free Training Course
- Paper Raven Books
- Start Writing Your Book Today: A step-by-step plan to write your nonfiction book, from first draft to finished manuscript
- Morgan Gist MacDonald LinkedIn
- Morgan Gist MacDonald Facebook
- Morgan Gist MacDonald Instagram
- Morgan Gist MacDonald Twitter