Johnny Wimbrey is a motivational speaker, author, and coach. He trains and teaches practical principles for success and leadership. Johnny had a story to tell. His first book is based on his memories of living in a battered women’s shelter, growing up on the streets, and being a young drug dealer. He had several near-death experiences and lost a very good friend. These close calls inspired him to turn his life around and write his first self-published book, which opened the door to his future. That book was From the Hood to Doing Good: From Adversity to Prosperity Through the Choices You Make.
He now uses the principles in his first book to help inspire and help troubled youth. He went on to self-publish several more books. His latest book Building a Millionaire Mindset: How to Use the Pillars of Entrepreneurship to Gain, Maintain, and Sustain Long-Lasting Wealth, is published traditionally with Mcgraw Hill. I talk to Johnny today about coaches and speakers who want to grow their business using books and building the millionaire mindset as an author. Johnny also shares unique marketing he used during the pandemic and leveraged relationships to get celebrity endorsements.
- [01:42] Johnny self published all of his books except his latest Millionaire Mindset. In his first book, he wrote about the principles he used in his life to overcome adversity.
- [02:37] From the Hood to Doing Good teaches principles of how to push through adversity. Hood stands for hazardous obstacles of destruction. He wrote this book in his twenties.
- [04:10] Johnny shares his advice for others who want to write a book and suffer from imposter syndrome. You have to participate in your greatness and decide what voice you are going to listen to.
- [05:58] Johnny wrote Millionaire Mindset to prepare his children mentally for becoming millionaires.
- [07:33] You need to be an expert when you’re in business. Having a book is the calling card that will get you through doors.
- [08:19] When you self-publish you have control and you own the rights to everything. When Johnny got the offer from McGraw-Hill, he knew it was a good opportunity to brand his name. Have an agent or representation.
- [10:29] Johnny is a motivational speaker. His confidence comes from his mindset that someone’s going to hit it out of the park this week, and it might as well be him.
- [12:54] When Johnny was 27, he researched the personal development industry. He nurtured a relationship with Les Brown and that helped him meet other people in the industry. He was willing to serve and learn at the lowest level.
- [14:40] Give and serve first and get into rooms so you can bump into people that you can serve and build relationships with. Be hungry, coachable, and willing to be seen and not heard.
- [15:56] Johnny shares his book launch. They went hard on social media and went hard from regular people to celebrities. He posted verbal clips from celebrities.
- [18:09] He had to participate in his own rescue. He had to rescue himself since he couldn’t speak on stage and had other restrictions from the pandemic.
- [18:46] To get testimonials he leveraged relationships that he already had. Some of the videos that he was able to use were favors called in from 10 years ago.
- [20:29] Advice for authors who want to speak and speakers who want to become authors.
- [22:24] Parting advice includes giving yourself permission to believe that it’s possible. Johnny also shares a story that is an example of this.
Links and Resources
- Children’s Self Publishing School
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- Book a Call with Our Team
- SPS Free Training Course
- Johnny Wimbrey
- Building a Millionaire Mindset: How to Use the Pillars of Entrepreneurship to Gain, Maintain, and Sustain Long-Lasting Wealth
- From the Hood to Doing Good: From Adversity to Prosperity Through the Choices You Make
- More Books by Johnny Wimbrey
- Johnny Wimbrey LinkedIn
- Johnny Wimbrey Twitter
- Johnny Wimbrey Facebook
- Johnny Wimbrey Instagram
Disclosure: Some of the links above may contain affiliate partnerships, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Self-Publishing School may earn a commission if you click through to make a purchase.