Meet Jeff Brown
Jeff is an award-winning radio producer, and personality turned podcaster since 2013 after a successful four-decade career in radio. He created the Read to Lead podcast, becoming one of the top business podcasts.
Creating a Book from His Podcast
Many of his friends and colleagues would ask him when he decided to write a book, but the thought of authoring a book and the process involved was overwhelming. Finally, he was approached by his co-author, who was interested in using Jeff’s platform to distribute his book. Jeff enjoyed working with his co-author and created his book named for his podcast.
Co-authoring a Book
For Jeff, co-authoring a book was a no-brainer. His experience with telling other people’s stories lent a great partnership to his co-author Jessie, who is a research guy. Jessie also had a writing background, so their skill sets complimented each other, making them an excellent team to write a book. First, they decided to build a framework around the book before they started writing. Next, they went down the conquer and divide path for the work ahead.
Setting a Schedule to Write Your Book
Working backward from their publishing deadline, Jeff and Jessie decided to create a word count per day they would have to write to finish their book by the publisher’s deadline. This was the easiest way to know that they were on target with a goal of a daily word count.
Listen to find out how Jeff plans to use his book inside company culture, how Jeff created his launch team, and why he decided to use a traditional publisher for his first book.
- [02:30] Why he decided to create a book from his podcast.
- [04:20] The pros and cons of working with a co-author.
- [08:25] How they set a schedule for writing their book together.
- [11:52] Designing their book for people to become better readers.
- [14:02] How his book will contribute to his business goals over the next few years.
- [16:47] Creating all-day or half-day workshops for companies centered around his book.
- [20:42] Getting the book deal with his publishing company and using his platform to support book sales.
- [29:20] The importance of asking people to endorse your book
- [34:55] Creating social media around your book that connects with people.
- [38:00] Believing in yourself and taking action to do what you set out to do.