Dan Miller is a multiple-book author and is passionate about helping people find work they love. He specializes in creative thinking for increased personal and business success. He believes that meaningful work blends our natural skills and abilities, unique personality traits, and dreams and passions. Dan is active in helping individuals redirect careers, evaluate new income sources, and achieve balanced living. He believes that a clear sense of direction can help us become all that God designed us to be.
Why Dan Decided to Write His Book
“I never thought of myself as a writer or wanted to write a book.” His first book, 48 Days, came from teaching a Sunday school class where he met others who were doing well financially but weren’t happy with their work. “They were doing something that they felt was ‘OK’ but they didn’t have passion about it.”
When he met with those people, they started referring him to others. Dan came up with the material for his first book through these conversations, which he created through a three-ring binder and two cassette tapes.
His Journey with a Traditional Publisher
Dan’s book caught the attention of multiple publishers after advertising with Dave Ramsey in the early days of his entrepreneurship. He signed with a publisher, and although his revenue and profit per book sale dropped, his audience increased because of the book publisher connections and distribution lines.
Building his Email List
“I started my marketing campaign with the 67 emails I originally had” back in 2000. Over time, he had over 140,000 people sign up for his newsletter. “Seeing that and seeing that people wanted more, I started coaching and doing live events.”
Listen in today’s episode to find out what Dan did to market his first book, how Dan embraces the relationship he has with his current following, and why Dan got into podcasting to promote his platform.
- [01:55] Why Dan decided to write his first book.
- [04:15] How real stories created Dan’s book.
- [07:43] Publishers started knocking on Dan’s door when his book gained popularity.
- [09:57] What Dan did in his book marketing plan to sell so many books.
- [12:17] How Dan got into podcasting in Nashville.
- [17:24] Making the best-seller list and what Dan did to get there.
- [24:26] Using his book as an introduction to what he offers in his business.
- [29:50] Why his book is more of a legacy piece.
Links and Resources
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- SPS Free Training Course
- Connect with Dan on the web
- Get a free chapter of Dan’s book