Today, I’m joined by Susie Moore, a Life Coach advice columnist for several of the world’s largest media outlets. Susie has been obsessed with mastering the confidence game since her childhood. The one thing she knows is that having self-confidence is learned. She has made giving others self-confidence and the ability to lead an approval-free life. She is the author of multiple books, including her most recent Stop Checking Your Lights. Susie utilized her PR so well that she was noticed and picked up by traditional publishers.
“I feel like being an author and being in the media are two of the best things you can do for your business. Becoming an author is a natural extension of being in the media; they go hand in hand so well if you’re a writer.” Using guest blogging on another website is the “most frictionless” method of getting the word out about your book to your audience on a different platform. Susie utilizes this form of media and guest posts once a week.
On having a good network, Susie gives this advice, “When you have a couple people in your corner to promote you with audiences, you’ll have to give them notice, assets, and make it clear what your book is about and with enthusiasm.” Make sure to call in your favors when your book comes out and when you interview, know why your book will benefit their audience. Susie doesn’t believe in hiring a publicist; she says, “you can do it all yourself.”
Also, make sure to test without limiting your markets. If your brand crosses two or three different niches, make sure to market to all of those niches, not just one or two. The pivotal question to ask yourself is, “Can someone who is reached by this market be helped by what I have to say?” if your answer is yes, then Susie recommends that you go for that market.
Listen in to find out the most important factor in advertising yourself, two main reasons you may not be getting the response you want from your book promotion, and how to write a guest post that converts readers to buyers.
- [01:57] Why Susie decided to self-publish her first book.
- [03:33] Where Susie focuses her attention when she is selling books.
- [05:45] The first platforms to reach out to when looking for book PR.
- [09:35] Why it’s important to get someone’s attention in the moment.
- [12:12] The essential part of getting PR is to have a good network.
- [13:50] The questions to ask yourself to find the right platform to post your book content.
- [15:51] Alignment of your book to another brand is the most important factor in deciding where to promote your publication.
- [19:55] Why editors like authors and content producers.
- [21:49] The most important factor in advertising yourself and your book.
- [25:35] Susie’s recommendations on how introverts can successfully market their book.
- [29:12] Two reasons why you may not be getting the responses you want from your book promotion.
- [31:00] How to write a guest post that converts readers to buyers.
- [33:40] Elements you need to write a good short tail (byline) in a guest post.
- [35:25] Ways to add value to other platforms to sell your book.
- [37:35] Susie’s advice to her former self.
Links and Resources
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- SPS Free Training Course
- Visit Susie on the web
- Sign up for Get Rock Star PR
- Tweet with Susie on Twitter
- Watch her videos on YouTube