Today, joining me is Dave Chesson. He is a full-time entrepreneur, stay at home dad, author of 7 books, and software creator. Dave built his business starting in 2014 and is now making a six-figure income every year.
“What we are talking about today is what you need to do when someone types something into the search box, they show your book over somebody else’s.” Discoverability is key to selling your book on Amazon. “If Amazon does not choose to show your book, no matter what, you won’t make sales unless you find the person and point them to your book.”
Dave has dyslexia and isn’t a good writer. “For me to overcome my lack of Hemmingway capabilities, I understood the core principle that if people want something and they can’t find it, but you have the answer, then you don’t have to be Hemmingway to be the person that solves their problem.”
BISAC code – Book Industry Subjects Codes list are sent to retailers as part of your book’s metadata. They are also used as the subject or genre codes. Intended to guide shelving, categorization, merchandising, and marketing efforts, these codes signal to potential buyers, retailers, distributors, and search engines what your book is about. BISAC will tell the buyer the primary genre, topic, and theme which relate to your book.
“Knowing which categories to choose, finding the ones that give you the best chance to be a best-seller, are extremely important.” There are three times you want to use Publisher Rocket: before you write your book, while you’re writing your book, and last, when you go to publish.
Listen in to find out how you can validate your book idea before you start writing, choose the best categories for your book, and write a book using Publisher Rocket. Learn how to find out the best keyword phrases to add to your Amazon search, run Amazon ads, and make sure your keywords fit your book content.
- [02:29] Why SEO is important when you want to sell more books.
- [04:26] How Publisher Rocket sells more books.
- [06:40] Validating your book idea before you start writing a book with Publisher Rocket.
- [08:02] Learn how to use BISAC code when marketing your book.
- [09:48] Using Publisher Rocket to validate a book idea and set up for success.
- [13:16] Discovering kindle keywords to get your book found on Amazon.
- [17:05] Questions to ask when researching keywords.
- [18:06] Why it’s important to make sure your keywords fit your book.
- [20:26] Two ways that categories help with your book.
- [23:31] How to set up and run Amazon ads.
- [27:30] Biggest mistakes people make with Amazon ads.
Links and Resources
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- SPS Free Training Course
- Circle of Profit
- Author Advantage Live 2020 for Writers
- Dave Chesson’s free Amazon Ads Course
- Dave Chesson on the web
- Publisher Rocket
Disclosure: Some of the links above may contain affiliate partnerships, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Self-Publishing School may earn a commission if you click through to make a purchase.