Joining me today is Bob Burg, he is a speaker and author of multiple books including The Go Giver and The Go Giver Series and Endless Referrals. He shares how a subtle shift in focus is not only a more uplifting and fulfilling way of conducting business but the most financially profitable way, as well. For 30 years, he’s helped companies, sales leaders, and their teams to more effectively communicate their value, sell at higher prices with less resistance, and grow their businesses based on Endless Referrals. Bob is an advocate, supporter, and defender of the Free Enterprise system, believing that the amount of money one makes is directly proportional to how many people they serve.
Bob tells the story of how his speaking business was growing for the first three years. He was at the National Speaking Conference speaking with other professional speakers who suggested he write a book to get to the next level. He used his book as a proactive tool to sell his services faster, more efficiently, and consistently.
He reflected on his process of contacting other professionals and his question process to find out if the company he called was interested, wanted, and could afford his services. Bob also talked about getting permission to send someone your book as they will value your book and its content as a utility.
Explaining how he utilizes his book as a foot in the door to get out there and into speaking gigs, Bob also elaborates on other ways marketing his book has resulted in receiving more business. He talks about using a process and following systems to achieve goals and how he built his business with each new book published.
Listen in to find out how Bob was able to sell 950,000 books, how to turn your book into a series, and using your book to grow your speaking business. Learn why consistency goes a long way, how he used parables in his book to teach his readers, and how go givers and go getters get farther in business.
- [02:27] Why Bob decided to write his first book and the purpose behind his book.
- [04:10] How he used his first book as a proactive tool and why his book was a critical part of growing his business.
- [07:28] Bob’s process of how he sold his book when presenting as a speaker.
- [09:38] His experience with writing for trade publications before online publishing.
- [10:49] How Bob has used his book to get more speaking gigs and to drive referrals.
- [12:55] His second book, The Go Giver, took his business to the next level.
- [15:42] The not-so-sexy work of getting your message out on multiple platforms.
- [20:24] Why you should always focus on the other person at a sales conference.
- [23:05] A difficult lesson Bob learned about titling his books.
- [26:31] Why The Go Giver sold so many books.
- [29:04] Which book has sold the most in his series and why has it sold the most copies.
- [33:17] The main impact of his books on his speaking business.
- [37:36] Bob encourages his students to make an emotional connection in their book.
- [42:48] Learning from other people’s experiences in the different aspects of business.