Rich Fettke is the author of Extreme Success: The 7-Part Program That Shows You How to Succeed Without Struggle and his latest book, The Wise Investor: A Modern Parable About Creating Financial Freedom and Living Your Best Life. He’s also the co-founder of RealWealth, where he helps investors find cash-flowing investment properties. He’s a Master Certified Coach who has been a guest on every major network, and his work has been featured in numerous magazines. He’s the former owner of a large health club franchise and an adventure athlete.
We dive into his books and how his latest book is different. Rich wanted to share investing successes and failures he and his wife have seen over the last 19 years, both in their business and with their clients. He decided to create a fable to help engage interest and passion, all while teaching valuable lessons for reader’s investment journeys. His first book was published 20 years ago by a traditional publisher. With his new book, he did a lot of things differently. He used StoryGrid to write the book and wasn’t afraid to hire the right people to get the book perfect.
He also used a hybrid publisher with his latest book. He shares some differences between traditional and hybrid publishers and why he chose a different route this time. He also shares lessons learned in writing a fable book and how to make a book stand out in a crowded market on a popular topic. Rich is a coach and a teacher, but he wanted to educate readers in his new work. He shares the difference between teaching and educating along with more great wisdom.
- [01:45] Rich’s first book Extreme Success came out 20 years ago. He and his wife started a real estate investment company, and over the last 19 years he has seen so many investing successes and failures that he wanted to weave it into a story to educate and inspire investors.
- [02:49] He decided to write a parable because it elicits emotion in people. Storytelling is so valuable, plus they were applying story brands into their business. The customer is the hero and their business is the guide in this hero’s journey.
- [04:04] His coach was encouraging him to write another book, and he started creating the story for this book.
- [05:03] He read a lot to prepare to create this book. He also learned about StoryGrid which is a structure for writing stories. He also hired a certified StoryGrid editor.
- [07:28] The StoryGrid has multiple parts, and it’s like a spreadsheet where you plug in the information.
- [11:57] The Wise Investor is different because it weaves stories in it to make it compelling so people will finish reading it. It also has a resource center with all of Rich’s favorites.
- [18:15] As a coach, Rich also wants to educate and draw out answers for his readers and listeners. Teaching is putting information in and educating is drawing wisdom out.
- [21:12] Twenty years ago, Rich used a traditional publisher because he wanted to get his name out there.
- [23:18] He wanted more control with his newer book. He used a hybrid model where Rich Dad helped with distribution, and Robert Kiyosaki wrote the forward for the book.
- [27:51] Advice: Get started! Look at getting support. Find a coach or someone who can help you. Get an expert writer or editor to help you craft the book and learn from the process.
Links and Resources
- Get a Free Copy of Published
- Get the Audio Copy of Published
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- Book a Call with Our Team
- SPS Free Training Course
- Self Publishing School YouTube
- Rich Fettke
- The Wise Investor: A Modern Parable About Creating Financial Freedom and Living Your Best Life
- Extreme Success: The 7-Part Program That Shows You How to Succeed Without Struggle
- Rich Fettke LinkedIn
- Rich Fettke Instagram
- Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
- The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable About Following Your Dream
- The Richest Man in Babylon
- The Latte Factor: Why You Don’t Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
- The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, Special 15th Anniversary Edition
- Who Not How: The Formula to Achieve Bigger Goals Through Accelerating Teamwork
- SPS 050: How To Land Sports Teams & Corporate Consulting Clients From A Book with Jon Gordon (Lessons Learned From 20 Books & 2M+ copies sold)
- Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff . . . and It’s All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life (Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
- SPS 056: How I Sold 46M Copies of My Self Published Book with Robert Kiyosaki (Turning Your Book Into A Brand & A Board Game)