Matt Faircloth has been a full-time investor since 2005. He’s completed dozens of fix and flips on office buildings, single-family homes, and apartment buildings. He’s also the CEO of The DeRosa Group, where he teaches real estate investing and partners with investors on thousands of multifamily units creating passive investor equity. He’s a regular contributor and guest on BiggerPockets and has an educational channel on YouTube. He’s the author of Raising Private Capital: Building Your Real Estate Empire Using Other People’s Money, a how-to book on connecting to a network and getting started in real estate investing.
We dive into why he wrote his book and his process with his publisher, BiggerPockets. He actually had three book ideas, but they loved the how-to process. We learn how Matt sold over 40,000 copies and the importance of having a network of like-minded people. He also shares his writing process and tips for writing a good book. Matt would go deep when needed yet stay on track. He thinks this contributed to the book’s quality. We also learn about his review process and why he loves getting reviews. He also shares how his book attracts investors to his business. Matt also shares an author that helped him get moving and motivated.
- [02:43] Matt wrote his book, because he knew he had a story to tell about being an investor, finding a network and raising money.
- [04:21] BiggerPockets, a network for real estate investors, also asked Matt to write a book. Matt had been writing articles for them since 2013.
- [06:38] They loved the idea of Raising Private Capital because it’s a how-to book.
- [09:57] He’s sold over 40,000 copies. Being part of BiggerPockets helped with sales. It’s also a great book!
- [12:10] He started with a good outline. He also went down rabbit holes if necessary. He went deep, yet stayed on message.
- [14:02] You can learn more about outlining in Published chapter 6.
- [14:34] Matt shares how he got over 400 reviews. He asked for reviews from people in his community. He also did a giveaway asking for reviews.
- [18:32] The book attracts investors for Matt’s business. It’s right in the alley of what they do.
- [20:58] Advice includes reading Steven Pressfield. Turning Pro is why he was able to raise capital.
- [24:14] Matt shares how to make your first deal on the side. Real estate investing takes time, people who only want to do it on the side need to invest in passive real estate.
Links and Resources
- Get a Free Copy of Published
- Get the Audio Copy of Published
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- Book a Call with Our Team
- SPS Free Training Course
- Self Publishing School YouTube
- DeRosa Group Matt Faircloth
- Matt Faircloth LinkedIn
- Matt Faircloth Instagram
- Raising Private Capital: Building Your Real Estate Empire Using Other People’s Money
- Derosa Group YouTube
- SPS 148: Growing Your Real Estate Investing Business Using A Book with AJ Osborne
- SPS 111: How My Real Estate Investing Book Helps Me Close Deals & Get Funding with Hayden Crabtree
- Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work