Brenda Bence is an Executive Leadership Coach, Motivational Keynote Speaker, Personal Branding Expert, and Former Fortune 100 Executive. She’s a Certified Global Leadership Coach and is ranked in the top 10 coaches in the world by Thinkers50. She is the author of 11 books, including her new book, The Forgotten Choice: Shift Your Inner Mindset, Shape Your Outer World. Something different from many of us at Self Publishing School is that Brenda has sold over 100,000 books offline. She shares her strategy for doing that in this episode and has many more impressive insights.
It didn’t take long for Brenda to realize that it’s beneficial for speakers to be published. She decided to go the self-publishing route, because it’s so much faster. Her strategy was to apply the mega-brand concept to people and personal branding. This idea helped her become the known speaker and branding expert she is today. While promoting her book, Brenda had a massive book launch event that sold 300 copies on the spot.
She also shares innovative strategies for speakers to sell their books at speaking events. She even has a method to personalize the signed copies for each event and get the book endorsed by the CEO. We also talk about leveraging your newsletter, finding your target audience, and the right way to tell people what you do. We also talk about tips for getting into corporate coaching. Brenda has many great insights for anyone interested in branding and connecting to promote your book or business.
- [01:41] Brenda decided to take the mega brand concept and apply it to people and personal branding. She created her own system based on how companies build mega brands.
- [02:17] She decided to write her first book after speaking to a group of women at GM who gathered around afterwards to buy her nonexistent book.
- [03:13] She was also asked to join a program with five other speakers. The speaker who complimented her the most stole her material. She realized she needed to get this info in a book.
- [04:32] The traditional publishing route wasn’t going to be fast enough. She met Dan Poynter who encouraged her to self-publish.
- [05:49] Her first copies sold after having a massive book launch. She sold about 300 books and that kicked everything off.
- [07:43] Part of her speaking contracts include the participants getting a signed copy of her book. She also puts little book plates inside with the date and logo.
- [09:13] She also does eblasts. This is where she sends tips to her company emails. She has the client logo, topic, and month. These go out for six months. She then encourages them to sign up for her regular newsletter.
- [10:36] Don’t forget the importance of having a physical book on the bookshelf.
- [11:48] Tip: CEOs love to write forwards for books. Print books specifically for that audience. A book is your best business card.
- [13:44] Leverage your newsletter to stay in touch.
- [16:26] Tell everybody what you do. I help leaders build inspiring brands and I do it through speaking, coaching, and books.
- [18:23] Find your target audience and let them know you’re looking for testimonials and give them examples. Send them a free book and say thanks for the endorsement.
- [21:15] Find where your audience is. Think about airport bookstores. A CEO could read your book and hire you.
- [23:56] Targeting or the four Ps person, pain, promise, and price.
- [25:52] Brenda had been an executive and she received training and contacted corporate people she knew. Get creative when finding those first clients.
- [28:28] Sign up for book rewards. You make money from everything else.
- [30:23] There’s a reason the word author is inside authority. When you’re an author, you’re an authority. A book can start you on a new journey and take you places that you’ve never dreamed of.
Links and Resources
- Get a Free Copy of Published
- Get the Audio Copy of Published
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- Book a Call with Our Team
- SPS Free Training Course
- Self Publishing School YouTube
- Brenda Bence
- Books by Brenda Bence
- Brenda Bence LinkedIn
- Brenda Bence Facebook
- Brenda Bence Twitter
- Brenda Bence Instagram
- Brenda Bence YouTube
- Dan Poynter’s Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book (Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print, & Sell Your Own Book)