About John Ruhlin
John Ruhlin took the principles of generosity learned from “Attorney Paul,” and started selling the largest deals in Cutco history. Not only was he gifting knives, but he was being asked to speak on stages around the country to teach sales and marketing teams how to build relationships in unconventional ways.
With the Ruhlin Group starting in 2000, John and his team quickly broadened gifting options and strategies; however, many of his original principles never changed. Knowing how and when to give gifts is just as important as what to gift. These “minor” details and expert knowledge have been tested and proven over a decade to bring a guaranteed “wow” to any industry, from financial services to manufacturing widgets.
Today, John and his team have created gift packages for some of the world’s largest companies and pro sports teams. Still, their mission and heart are to serve and take relationships for mid-sized, privately owned businesses to a new level using their Proven Process.
Why John Chose to Write Giftology
A book wasn’t in John’s plans when he first started his business, “People were asking for it – I had no desire when I started the business to write a book.” He hated speaking and didn’t see the point of writing a book. However, after clients hired him to speak in response to his stories, his business partner pointed out that they needed to author a book to position themselves as thought leaders in their vertical.
How His Book Took Him Places He Couldn’t Go
When they realized they couldn’t be everywhere simultaneously, John and his team focused on creating their book Giftology. He wanted to speak more; however, more travel wasn’t a viable option with a third child on the way. John realized that he needed a way to get in front of more people without traveling and speaking. In addition, he realized that other speakers who weren’t as talented would land higher-paying speaking gigs as a result of having a book.
Promoting His Book Giftology
John created a unique coffee table-style book with a monogrammed leather cover that his friends would be excited to show off to others. He looks for the areas that other people miss in their marketing plan, “Where everyone goes expensive, I go cheap, where everyone goes cheap, I go expensive.”
John sends his $100 VIP leather version of his book to his friends and business network. “I keep ratcheting up what we’re doing because I feel that this is my anchor.” Gifting his book is so important, and he is so consistent with giving his book away that he often gets noticed by many of his CEO friends.
Listen in on today’s episode and find out how John decides who he sends the VIP version of his book, how he makes his book “sticky”, and how he creates specialty swag with the same stickiness as his book.
- [02:11] The reason why John chose to write a book and make his book the core of his business.
- [06:15] How John decided to market and promote his book sales.
- [10:11] Who he offers his VIP book version to and why he chooses these business people in his network.
- [12:14] Playing the long game for decades, not days.
- [15:39] How John gathered over 600 reviews for his book.
- [18:02] Using Giftology to sell more books and grow your business.
- [20:32] His view on holiday gifts and what to send your clients.
- [26:26] Making it easy for others to share his VIP book.
- [30:19] Having his book do the heavy lifting of his methodology.
- [36:39] John’s advice he would have given himself before he wrote his book.
Links and Resources
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- SPS Free Training Course
- Checkout John Ruhlin on the web
- Download the Giftology Playbook
Disclosure: Some of the links above may contain affiliate partnerships, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Self-Publishing School may earn a comission if you click through to make a purchase.