Tony & Alisa DiLorenzo are best-selling authors with multiple books between both of them. Some titles include 7 Days of Sex Challenge: How to Rock Your Sex Life and Your Marriage, The Trust Factor: How To Rebuild Trust In Your Marriage, and Connect Like You Did When You First Met: 101 Proven Questions For Couples. They were already having success with their books and business, yet they decided to join Self Publishing School to make their newest book their best ever. Their new book is The 6 Pillars of Intimacy: The Secret to an Extraordinary Marriage, a book about restoring the “like new” connection in your marriage.
We dive into many interesting topics about their latest book and process. We talk about how SPS helped them provide structure and save time. It was also great to have a coach to answer questions. They feel this is their best book, yet they got it out faster than their previous works. We talk about the co-authoring process and how SPS helped alleviate some of the tension that can go along with that by creating a strategy. We dive into frameworks, and Alisa shares how the 6 Pillar framework came about. We also talk about testing, lead magnets, and reviews.
I also share tips and pointers about the one-year launch and how to keep talking about your book. Alisa and Tony are also the owners of One Extraordinary Marriage, where they offer marriage insights, strategies, and coaching. They also host the One Extraordinary Marriage Show. They even have a monthly magazine called The Position Post. Alisa and Tony are terrific guests and share many fun insights on how books can be used to improve your business and how it’s never too late to get help and improve your publishing skills.
- [02:00] Why books as part of their business? They are in the marriage niche, and married people love books.
- [02:46] They decided to become part of Self Publishing School, because after having five books under their belts, they wanted their next one to be the best! They wanted the coaching to help them along the way.
- [05:55] How they created a framework for their book. They asked what the language and challenges their coaching clients have had. If you already know the language, you can write the book. What do you teach over and over again?
- [09:20] After speaking at a marriage event, Alisa had put together six parts of her talk and that ended up being the six pillars. They wrote a quick PDF and had thousands and thousands of downloads.
- [12:07] Co-author tips include knowing where you are leading the reader as you are writing. They had tension in the past writing together. The SPS process helped alleviate that tension. Instead of going back and forth Alisa wrote the pillar sections and Tony wrote his thoughts on each one.
- [16:25] Communication and having a strategy is key when you have two authors.
- [17:45] The launch: SPS prelaunch with 100 people on a list for reviews and ratings. The full launch included launching to their audience and book promos. Having a strategy helped this launch go so smoothly. Have a launch strategy!
- [20:42] They use Amazon ads and have done well continuing on.
- [21:45] They also have small group studies for churches who buy bundles.
- [22:53] Leaning into book clubs could also be a smart strategy.
- [23:36] They got around 175 reviews in 6 months. Keep asking for those reviews.
- [25:31] Audiobooks and working with Findaway Voices has been huge for them.
- [27:43] Using short links for reviews and audiobooks works well.
- [29:46] Having a personal coach with accountability and resources was extremely helpful. It’s nice not to feel overwhelmed and have to figure everything out on your own.
- [32:00] If you’re considering whether to get help with your book, their advice is to do it! Don’t waste time stumbling around without help.
- [34:15] The book has a quiz lead magnet. You can learn more about this technique on page 190 of Published.
- [35:39] The one year launch. Keep talking about the book and keep marketing!
Links and Resources
- Get a Free Copy of Published
- Get the Audio Copy of Published
- Visit Self Publishing School Online
- Want to join Self Publishing School and work with us like Tony & Alisa did? Book a Call with Our Team
- SPS Free Training Course
- Self Publishing School YouTube
- One Extraordinary Marriage
- The 6 Pillars of Intimacy: The Secret to an Extraordinary Marriage
- The Trust Factor: How To Rebuild Trust In Your Marriage
- Connect Like You Did When You First Met: 101 Proven Questions For Couples
- One Extraordinary Marriage Show
- One Extraordinary Marriage Instagram
- One Extraordinary Marriage Facebook
- SPS 107: How To Write A Perennial Bestseller If You’re “Not A Writer” with Dr. Henry Cloud (The Real Secret To Selling 20 Million Copies)
- SPS 095: The Five Love Languages: Behind The Scenes Of The Book, The Series, And Selling 15 Million Copies with Gary Chapman
- SPS 071: Extreme Ownership, The Dichotomy of Book Publishing, And Using Publicity To Help Sell 2.5M+ Copies with Leif Babin
- SPS 061: Overcoming Fear & Imposter Syndrome To Write Your Faith-Based Book with Jennifer Allwood
- Findaway Voices