Check out the video below for more info on the position…
We’ll be accepting applicants until May 26, 2021.
Be sure to apply before then.
Are you a creative operator who loves writing your own innovative content just as much as project managing a team of writers?
Are you someone who loves a challenge, never settles for mediocrity, and is always competing with yourself to up-level your performance?
Are you a writer at heart but with a keen eye for SEO, mastering the crucial balance between writing for both a search engine and a reader?
Do you love data and view marketing as both an art and a science, finding patterns in spreadsheets and making objective recommendations based on results over gut feelings?
Do you love the challenge of managing multiple voices, brands, and content strategies to create unique buyer’s journeys toward a common goal?
Are you an extremely motivated person who loves helping people and serving others?
If so, then we have an exciting proposition for you…
We’re on a search for an experienced Managing Editor to join our team at Self Publishing School. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the right person.
You’ll have a front row seat (and major responsibility / autonomy) at one of the fastest growing companies in America (INC 5,000 the last 3 years in a row – #1,944 in 2020).
You’ll be on the marketing team reporting directly to our Marketing Director, Ashton Scriven (click here for LinkedIn), and partnering with some of the top talent in the industry.
Your mission (should you choose to accept it):
- Grow the SPS family of sites into the undisputed authority on all things writing / book publishing
- Grow these sites to $1.5M in annual revenue in 2021 and $4M+ in 2022
It’s a big job with a lot of responsibility. Keep reading if you have what it takes to get the job done…
The Managing Editor is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing the overall content strategy for Self-Publishing School’s family of websites that get over 650,000 visitors a month.
Your job is to create and oversee the cohesive strategy, production, and quality of content for each of Self-Publishing School’s family of websites, with the ultimate goal of lead generation for Self-Publishing School.
This is done by crafting a unique but complimentary content strategy for each of Self-Publishing School’s secondary websites, finding and managing freelance writers for high quality content creation, and developing and managing detailed content schedules for consistent publication.
This role is broken into two parts:
- Content Strategy
- Content Management & Creation
This role will be accountable for the following KPIs:
- Content Quality
- Content Frequency
- SPS leads generated from family of sites
You MUST be:
- Ready to learn, be challenged, and grow a ton
- A self-starter who is obsessed with continuous improvement
- Uniquely wired with both the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager
- Able to suggest ideas for stories and see them through to publication
- Organized, detail-oriented, and exceptional at taking a project from conception to implementation with multiple moving parts and stakeholders
- An experienced strategist who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty, be scrappy, and execute quickly
- A systems thinker and process-oriented professional who understands the role marketing plays in the organization as a whole
- Ready for a challenge and excited to take ownership of the content strategy for multiple brands
NOTE: This position is full-time and virtual. Meaning you can work from anywhere. The team here at SPS is located around the world, with the majority of us in North America. Preference for this position is someone working in the US or Canada.
DISQUALIFIERS: Please DO NOT apply to this position if you:
- Have no interest in books (and using books to change people’s lives)
- Have less than 3 years of experience as a managing editor or in a similar role
- Are intimidated by analytics, KPIs, and aggressive growth goals
- Have no working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and on-page SEO best practices
- Prefer the status quo and have no appetite for innovation
- Lack organization and project management skills
- Struggle to create short-term or long-term strategies and project plans
- Are afraid to roll up your sleeves alongside the team to get the job done
If none of these things can be said of you, then please continue reading…
- Develop unique overarching content strategy for each site based on avatar and buyer’s journey
- Manage creation and updating of all content on SPS secondary websites (including but not limited to blog posts, home pages, product pages, testimonial pages, etc.)
- Produce monthly content strategy for each site based on traffic growth opportunities and industry trends
- Hire and manage freelance writers for consistent blog posts on all sites
- Manage monthly content production schedule for timeliness of delivery and publication
- Edit content pieces to ensure Best is the Standard quality
- Partner with SEO and CRO resources to increase ranking and conversion of content
At Self Publishing School, we value work ethic, coachability, and past results you’ve delivered significantly more than your degree (or lack thereof), GPA, etc.
Have you delivered results in a similar role in the past? If so, that’s what we’re looking for.
That being said, feel free to apply even if you don’t “tick the boxes” below. Just be sure to mention that in your application + why we should consider you.
- 3-4 years proven experience as managing editor or in a similar role
- Strong writer with the ability to effectively communicate based on avatar and objective
- Excellent organizational and leadership qualities
- Ability to plan and coordinate both people and operations to accomplish a goal
- Creativity and a talent for developing original content that provokes engagement
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate across all aspects of the business
- High attention to detail
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
- Experience managing content for multiple websites and brands at one time
- Experience with writing content to rank on search engines and coaching a team of writers to do the same
- Proven track record of month over month lead and revenue growth for multiple websites
- Solid understanding of performance marketing, website conversion, and online inbound customer acquisition
Yearly salary of $60,000-$100,000; depending on qualification and experience.
Also includes the following benefits:
- Top tier healthcare: your choice of high quality healthcare (for US-based full-time employees)
- Bi-weekly house cleaning: get your house cleaned every two weeks, on the company! : )
- Work remotely: save $5k/year in commuting costs and 100+ hrs each year (aka. 2 ½ extra weeks of “time off”)
- Bonus structure: earn quarterly incentives based on hitting team goals
ABOUT SELF-PUBLISHING SCHOOL:
Self-Publishing School is an online education company that teaches people how to write, market & publish their first book in as little as 90 days.
We provide people with more opportunities, confidence & income through publishing a book.
Our program is by far the best on the market which is why we have one of the highest student success rates of any online training company. We genuinely care about the success of our students and provide a great avenue for them to be successful.
Our company is driven by 2 unique viewpoints:
- It’s not about the book. It’s about what the book does for you. We believe that “Books Change Lives” and we believe in the power of “Leveraged Impact” (changing lives through books)
- In going through the process, our students learn a lot about themselves and conquer fears, challenges & limiting beliefs they never knew existed.
They’re also surprised by all of the opportunities that pop up once their book is out in the world.
The purpose of our company is to disrupt the publishing industry and show people that self publishing is not only an option, it’s the BEST option.
The publishing industry is broken. Big publishers are antiquated and inefficient. They take advantage of the people doing the hard work…the authors. Our company exists to show people there is a better way…
…a way that doesn’t involve: using a publisher, wasting 2 years of your life, giving away all of your creative liberties, giving away all of your book royalties, and relying on a publisher that doesn’t do any marketing for your book.
Self Publishing School made the INC 5000 in 2018 (#2,699), in 2019 (#1,483), and in 2020 (#1,944) as one of the 5,000 fastest-growing private companies in the US.
As we always say, “the best is yet to come”. We’re excited to continue climbing & growing thanks to our incredible team & customers.
About the team:
There’s currently 36 full-time, and several part-time team members at Self Publishing School working remotely from across the country and around the world.
All team members are “A players”, with a love and passion and a drive to do great work and make the world a better place.
You won’t find grumbling, negative co-workers here. People at SPS are passionate and excited about what they do!
About the culture:
Here are the company core values. We call it “The SPS Way”:
- Honesty & Integrity Always Win
- Fail Fast, Fail Forward, Fail Often
- Hard Work & Continuous Improvement
- Everyone is Responsible for Facilitating Change
- Best Is The Standard
Although the team is virtual at SPS, the culture is alive and well…often referenced as one of employee’s favorite parts about working here.
Two times a year the team meets in a unique city in the US (sometimes internationally) for a 3-5 day company retreat…planning the next quarter, connecting in person, having fun, and celebrating wins.
The environment is very fast paced, and high growth. The company is growing fast, meaning a high level of accountability, responsibility and autonomy for everyone on the team.
We’re constantly investing in the training & growth of our team members through book clubs, courses, trainings, and live seminars. All employees are given $15,000+ worth of training and continued education upon being hired with the company.
Since you’re working remotely, you can say goodbye to the dreaded commute (meaning more time for family & fun). This isn’t your average 9-5. Hours are somewhat flexible as long as you get your work done. That being said, due to the growth & pace of the company, it’s not uncommon to work 45-50+ hour weeks.
Because of the company’s growth & hiring needs, there’s a huge opportunity for advancement and promotion if you’re a fast learner.
Overall, the culture of the company is high growth, fun, empowering, and motivating, with support from a world-class team of people who love what they do.
In 2019, Self Publishing School was certified as a “Great Place To Work” by GreatPlaceToWork.com.
Here is our blog: https://self-publishingschool.com/blog/
Here is our main site: self-publishingschool.com
Here’s our other site: selfpublishing.com
Think you’re a fit? Fill out the application below…
(We’ll be accepting applicants until Wednesday, May 26th, 2021. Be sure to apply before then.)
*You must fill out the application below to be considered for the position. Resumes separate from this application will NOT be considered.
Have further questions? Send us an email at: email@example.com